Greek-Style Rice Salad
This is a delicious accompaniment to barbecued lamb or lemon-marinated chicken, or as a light luncheon entree with some crusty bread.
Notes To substitute brown or a blended rice, adjust the amount of liquid used and the cooking time according to the package directions.
Molded Rice Salads
For molded rice salads, pack this salad into a well-greased mold, press down firmly, cover with wax paper, and weigh for 30 minutes, using cans or other weights, before un-molding onto a serving platter. A ring mold makes an attractive presentation, especially when the center is overflowing with one of the salad ingredients. For instance, fill a ring of Greek-Style Rice Salad with chopped tomatoes, feta cheese, or olives.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Courseappetizer, side dish
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, halal, kosher, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegetarian
Taste and Texturecheesy, herby, savory, sharp, tangy, tart
Type of Dishsalad
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white rice (see note)
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- ½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Pinch salt
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced (about 2 cups)
- ½ pound feta cheese, crumbled
- ¾ cup sliced pitted black olives, preferably imported
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
• 1. Bring the water to a boil in a 2-quart saucepan over high heat. Add the rice, stir, cover, reduce the heat, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender. Remove from the heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
• 2. To prepare the marinade, in a medium bowl whisk together the oil, lemon juice, oregano, mustard, salt, and pepper. Mix in the tomatoes, feta, olives, and parsley and allow to marinate while the rice is cooking.
• 3. Place the hot rice in a large serving bowl. Drain the marinade over the hot rice, toss, and let cool slightly. Add the tomato-feta mixture and toss. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve lukewarm or refrigerate until 30 minutes before serving.
1991 Bonnie Tandy Leblang and Joanne Lamb Hayes