Glazed Meatloaf with Bacon Strips
A topping of a sweet, spicy glaze and crispy bacon slices sets this meatloaf apart. Serve with Steamed New Potatoes with Fresh Basil for a summer meal that pairs complementary flavors with the garden’s fresh bounty.
NotesTo slightly precook the bacon, place the strips on a paper plate lined with a paper towel and place another paper towel on top. Micro-wave for about 1 minute to remove excess fat.
Serves4 to 6
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationpeanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Taste and Texturemeaty, savory, smoky, tangy
Type of Dishsauces
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork sausage
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ½ cup finely crushed saltines (about 10)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Chili Glaze (recipe follows)
- 3 bacon strips, precooked for 1 minute (see Notes)
- Parsley sprigs for garnish
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ cup red chili sauce
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients except the glaze, bacon, and parsley and mix well. Turn the mixture into a lightly sprayed or oiled 9-by-5-inch loaf pan and gently pat down. Spread the glaze on top of the loaf and arrange the bacon strips neatly to cover, Bake until the loaf is firm and the bacon is crisp, about 1 hour. Let stand in the pan for 5 to 10 minutes before serving. Remove the loaf from the pan and transfer to a platter. Garnish with the parsley sprigs.
This glaze adds flavor and appeal. In a small bowl, mix together all the ingredients.
2007 Maryana Vollstedt