Fresh Tomato Salsa
This popular salsa is best served the day it is made, but should be made several hours ahead to allow the flavors to blend.
NotesWhen handling chiles, wear latex gloves or hold the chiles under running cold water to protect against oils that may cause burning to the skin. Keep your fingers away from your face and eyes, and wash your hands with warm soapy water immediately after handling.
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionBuffet, Family Get-together, game day
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, halal, kosher, lactose-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegan, vegetarian
Taste and Texturegarlicky, hot & spicy, light, tangy
Type of Dishsalsa, sauces
- 4 medium tomatoes, seeded, chopped, and drained
- ½ cup diced green bell pepper
- ½ cup diced white onion
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and finely chopped (see Notes)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice of 1 small lime
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
In a medium bowl, stir together all the ingredients. Cover and let stand at room temperature for at least 1 hour. Drain, if necessary, before using.
2007 Maryana Vollstedt