Fall Vegetable Paella
This dish is a colorful celebration of fall flavors. It’s a one-dish meal that can be served for both family or as a potluck contribution.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
One Pot MealYes
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, halal, kosher, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegan, vegetarian
Taste and Texturecrisp, savory
- 3 tbsp olive oil (45 mL)
- 1 cup chopped onion (250 mL)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup brown rice, rinsed (250 mL)
- 2 tbsp Turmeric Spice Paste or store-bought curry powder (25 mL)
- 3 cups vegetable stock, divided (750 mL)
- 1 cup chopped zucchini (250 mL)
- ½ cup chopped green bell pepper (125 mL)
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper (125 mL)
- ½ cup chopped mushrooms (125 mL)
- ½ cup cauliflower florets (125 mL)
- ½ cup broccoli florets (125 mL)
- ½ cup chopped carrot (125 mL)
- 1 tsp salt (5 mL)
- Freshly ground pepper
In a large wok or saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes or until onions are soft. Stir in rice and Turmeric Spice Paste. Reduce heat and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
Stir in 2 cups (500 mL) of the stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
Stir in the remaining 1 cup (250 mL) of the stock, zucchini, green and red bell peppers, mushrooms, cauliflower, broccoli, carrot, salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and simmer gently for 10 minutes or until rice is soft and vegetables are tender-crisp without lifting the lid. Serve hot.
Add 1 cup (250 mL) drained canned artichoke hearts in the last minute of cooking in Step 3.
2007 Pat Crocker