Expandable Potato Salad
Here’s an essential potato salad recipe that’s a great addition to many types of meals—including picnics. The basic recipe will appeal to a wide range of tastes; to make it more interesting, stir in any combination of the optional additions you wish to add, or arrange them in small bowls and let everyone add his or her own.
NotesFor picky eaters: Prepare an extra potato or two, and sauté the chunks in a little olive oil. Serve with ketchup and some peas on the side. Arrange a few extra raw veggies that you used for the salad (such as celery and red bell pepper) on the plate.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
Recipe Courseside dish
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturecreamy, tart, umami
Type of Dishvegetable
- 5 medium-large red-skinned or Yukon Gold potatoes
- ½ cup soy mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 large celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ½ medium red bell pepper, finely diced
- Crumbled feta or goat cheese
- 1 to 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- Toasted sunflower seeds, to taste
- Minced fresh dill, to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley, to taste
Microwave the potatoes on high in their skins until done but still firm. Allow 2 to 3 minutes per potato, test for doneness, then add a little more time as needed. When cool enough to handle, peel the potatoes and cut into ½ - to ¾-inch chunks. Place them in a serving container.
Combine the mayonnaise and mustard in a small bowl and stir together. Add to the potatoes, along with the celery and peas; mix well. Season with salt and pepper.
Add any of the optional ingredients you’d like; mix well. Cover and refrigerate until needed or serve at once.
Read NextTranslucent Sugar Glaze
2004 Nava Atlas