Eggs with Chorizo and Tomato
Eggs cooked with chorizo make a popular breakfast or brunch dish in Mexico. However, if the chorizo is very highly seasoned, adding tomato makes it all a little lighter. If the chorizo contains a lot of fat, the lard or oil may be omitted.
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
OccasionBuffet, Family Get-together
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationgluten-free, lactose-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturemeaty, savory, spiced
- 2 tablespoons lard or vegetable oil (see note above)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped white onion
- 6 ounces (180 g) chorizos, skinned and roughly crumbled
- 6 ounces (180 g) tomato, unpeeled and finely chopped (about ¾ cup)
- 5 extra-large eggs, lightly beaten with salt
Heat the lard in a frying pan, add the onion, and fry gently without browning for 1 minute. Add the crumbled chorizo and cook over low heat until the fat has rendered out and the meat is just beginning to brown. Raise heat, add the tomato, and cook until the juice has been absorbed-about 4 minutes. Add salt to the eggs and stir them into the tomato mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring and turning them almost constantly, until the eggs are set-about 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning and serve immediately with corn tortillas.
1989, 2008 Diana Kennedy