Eggplant and Seafood Stew from Ghana
Ghana is a former british colony in West Africa and today English is widely spoken there. The food of Ghana shares many similarities with other West African countries, especially in the use of the cassava (taro), a variety of yams, corn, peanuts, melon seeds, eggplant, okra, and fish. This dish is called froi and is adapted from a recipe in The African Cookbook by Bea Sandler, who tells us that there are hundreds of varieties of froi, including ones made with beef, smoked fish, and okra.
Makes4 to 6 servings
Cooking Methodbaking, stewing
Total Timeunder 2 hours
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, lactose-free, soy free, tree nut free
Taste and Texturelight, savory, spiced
Type of Dishcasserole
- 2 pounds eggplant, peeled and diced
- 2 medium size onions, chopped
- 9 ounces small okra, bottoms trimmed
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium size, ripe tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1 cup water
- 2¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup peanut oil
- 2 pounds flat white fish fillets, such as sole, red snapper, or John Dory
- 1 pound fresh shrimp with their heads on or ½ pound previously frozen headless shrimp, shelled
In a large casserole or stew pot, put the eggplant, half of the onions, the okra, green pepper, tomato; water, salt, black pepper, and cayenne. Cover and turn the heat to high, stirring occasionally. Once the vegetables are boiling vigorously, about 10 minutes, reduce the heat to low and simmer until all the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Pass the vegetables through a food mill and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 350°F.
In a large casserole or Dutch oven, heat the peanut oil over medium-high heat. Cook the remaining onion until translucent, stirring, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Spread the pureed vegetables over the onion, then arrange the fish and shrimp on top. Bake until fish flakes and the shrimp are orange, about 30 minutes. Serve from the casserole.
2002 Clifford A. Wright