Easy Three-Bean Chili
This makes a lot! Refrigerate or freeze any extra in a tightly covered container. (Freezing it in individual serving-size containers can be very convenient for future spontaneous dinners.) It reheats well.
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, halal, kosher, lactose-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegan, vegetarian
Taste and Texturehot & spicy, savory, spiced
Type of Dishsoup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups small-diced onion
- 1 cup diced bell peppers (a mix of red, yellow, and green is nice)
- ¼ teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon minced or crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- Big pinch of cayenne pepper
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes packed in tomato puree
- One 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- One 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- One 15-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- One 15-ounce can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Freshly ground black pepper
Place a large saucepan or soup pot over medium-high heat and wait 2 minutes. Add the oil and wait about 30 seconds, then add the onion, peppers, and salt. Cook, stirring often, for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the onions are translucent and both the onions and peppers are beginning to soften.
Add the chili powder, garlic, cumin, oregano, basil, and cayenne; sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Stir in the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, and vegetable broth, and bring to a boil.
Add all the beans, and bring to a boil again. Reduce the heat, partially cover the pot, and let the chili simmer gently for 20 minutes-or as long as 1 hour. (If simmering longer, give it a stir every 10 minutes or so to see if it needs some additional stock.)
Grind in some black pepper, and taste to adjust the salt. Serve hot.
Read NextTranslucent Sugar Glaze
2007 Tante Malka, Inc., and Walter Willett, M.D.