Curried Lentil Stew with Vegetables
Heady with the fragrance of curry, this one-pot stew made with convenient canned lentils is a substantial meal in a bowl.
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, healthy, kosher, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegan, vegetarian
Taste and Texturegarlicky, herby, savory, spiced, umami
Type of Dishsoup
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) mild curry paste or powder, or to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) diced peeled potatoes (about 2)
- 1½ cups (375 mL) thinly sliced carrots (about 3)
- 1½ cups (375 mL) vegetable or chicken stock
- ¼ cup (50 mL) tomato paste
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) lentils, drained and rinsed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup (50 mL) chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- Plain yogurt (optional)
- 8-cup (2 L) casserole dish with lid
In casserole dish, combine oil, onion, garlic, ginger, curry paste and cayenne pepper. Microwave, covered, on High for 2 to 3 minutes, until onion is softened.
Add potatoes, carrots, stock and tomato paste. Microwave, covered, on High for 10 to 14 minutes, stirring once, until vegetables are tender.
Add lentils. Microwave, covered, on High for 3 to 5 minutes or until piping hot. Season with salt, if required, and pepper to taste.
Sprinkle with cilantro and serve in heated bowls. Top each with a spoonful of yogurt, if desired.
This is a meatless stew but you can add about 1 ½ cups (375 mL) diced cooked roast lamb, pork or ham along with lentils.
2004 Johanna Burkhard