Good creamed spinach is one of the most soothing dishes ever invented. To capture the delicate essence of spinach, the time-consuming labor of washing, stemming, sorting, and chopping fresh leaves is a must.
Makes6 to 8 servings
Cooking Methodsauteeing, steaming
Total Timeunder 1 hour
OccasionBuffet, Casual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Courseside dish
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, vegetarian
Taste and Texturecreamy, savory
Type of Dishvegetable
- 2 pounds fresh spinach, rinsed well and stemmed
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and minced
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons heavy or whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
Place the spinach leaves in a steamer and cook over simmering water just until wilted, 5 to 10 minutes. Drain well, cool slightly, and chop.
Melt the butter in a medium-size heavy skillet over medium heat. Add the scallions, and sauté for 5 minutes. Break the cream cheese into small pieces, add it to the skillet, and stir until melted and smooth. Add the spinach to the skillet, and stir well to combine. Stir in the cream and lemon juice, then season with the salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cook just until heated through, 5 to 7 minutes. Serve at once.
1990 Sarah Leah Chase