Cream of Pumpkin Flower Soup
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Courseappetizer, main course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Taste and Texturecreamy, light, savory
Type of Dishsoup
- 2 cups rinsed and chopped pumpkin flowers, discard stems
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 4 cups milk or 2 cups fat free evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons chicken consommé granules or 3 bouillon cubes
- 1 cup finely chopped zucchini
- ½ cup corn kernels, fresh, frozen, or canned
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a large saucepan, over medium heat, sauté pumpkin flowers and onion in 1 tablespoon margarine; when onion is translucent add 2 cups milk; lower heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
Puree onion, flowers, and milk mixture in blender.
In the same saucepan, melt the remaining 1 tablespoon margarine; stir flour into margarine until a thick paste is formed; continue stirring; gradually add flower mixture.
When soup thickens stir in consommé, zucchini, corn, and remaining 2 cups milk; simmer for 10 minutes over low heat; stir occasionally.
Season with pepper.
1998 Maria Dolores Beatriz