Cream Cheese-Filled Brownies
This tastes like a low-fat Twinkie cupcake. Children and adults devour this dessert. When pouring batter, don’t worry if there’s a swirling pattern — the result will be attractive.
Make ahead: Prepare up to 2 days in advance. Freeze for up to 4 weeks
Makes16 brownies (1 brownie per serving)
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionBuffet, Family Get-together
Dietary Considerationdiabetic, halal, kosher, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegetarian
Mealbrunch, dinner, tea
Taste and Texturecheesy, chewy, chocolatey, creamy, sweet
Type of Dishchocolate dessert, dessert
- 4 oz (125 g) light cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) 2% milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) light sour cream
- ¼ cup (50 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- ¾ cup (175 mL) all-purpose flour
- ½ cup (125 mL) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 8-inch (2 L) square baking dish, sprayed with vegetable spray
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Filling: In a food processor or in a bowl with an electric mixer, beat together cream cheese, sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. Set aside.
Cake: In a large bowl, whisk together brown sugar, sour cream, oil, whole egg and egg white. In a separate bowl, stir together flour, cocoa and baking powder. Add liquid ingredients to dry, blending just until mixed.
Pour half the cake batter into prepared pan. Spoon filling on top; spread with a wet knife. Pour remaining batter into pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until just barely loose at center.
2008 Barbara Selley, BA RD