Cranberry Maple Squares
Published by Robert Rose
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 4 weeks.
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionBuffet, Cocktail Party, Family Get-together
Dietary Considerationhalal, kosher, peanut free, soy free, vegetarian
Taste and Texturebuttery, crunchy, nutty, sweet
Type of Dishdessert
- 2 cups (500 ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (50 ml) granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) salt
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup (175 ml) lightly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup (125 ml) unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup (50 ml) pure maple syrup
- 4 eggs
- 1¼ cups (300 ml) pecan halves, chopped
- 1½ cups (375 ml) dried cranberries
- Pinch of salt
- Flat beater
- Wire whip
- Preheated oven to 350°F (180°C)
- 13- by 9-inch (3 L) metal baking pan, greased and lined with greased parchment paper
Place flour, sugar, butter, baking powder and salt in the mixer bowl. Attach the flat beater and mixer bowl to the mixer. Set to speed 2 and beat until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until dough forms a ball.
On a floured work surface, roll out dough into a 13- by 9-inch (33 by 23 cm) rectangle. Carefully fold twice so it is easier to transfer to the prepared pan. Unfold into the pan, pressing evenly into the bottom and 1 inch (2.5 cm) up the sides. Refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
Prepare the filling: Place brown sugar and butter in clean mixer bowl. Remove the flat beater and attach the whip and mixer bowl to the mixer. Set to speed 4 and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in maple syrup. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until smooth. Remove the mixer bowl. Using a rubber spatula, stir in pecans, cranberries and salt until evenly incorporated.
Pour filling into dough and spread evenly in the pan. Bake in lower third of preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until pastry is golden and filling is set. Let cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Cut into squares.
2008 Meredith Deeds and Carla Snyder