Published by Bantam
Sweet blue crab is the preferred seafood of many coastal children. Celeste, as a child, always loved fresh crab dipped in melted butter as a snack. Crab cakes with a crispy crust also rate a “great” from her. I think this is because the blue crab is still the dominant flavor in my cakes, with just little pops of spices.
The cakes may also be sautéed in a skillet over high heat to brown on both sides, then rewarmed in the oven.
Serve with corn succotash, a tossed green salad, and bread.
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe Courseappetizer, main course
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Mealbrunch, dinner, lunch
Taste and Texturecrisp, herby, rich, savory, sharp
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus ½ cup melted
- 1 tablespoon minced green onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons hot chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound claw blue crab meat, picked for shells
- 1 pound lump back fin blue crab meat, picked for shells
- 3 cups light whole wheat bread cubes
- ¼ cup minced fresh chives
- ¼ cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked black pepper
Preheat the oven to 425°.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter and add the green onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Simmer for 1 minute, and whisk in the flour. Simmer for an additional minute. Whisk in the heavy cream, raise the heat, and whisk continuously until the sauce comes to a boil and thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and whisk vigorously. Stir in the egg yolk, mustard, chili sauce, and lemon juice and refrigerate to chill. Stir in the basil, salt, and crab meat and form into 12 patties. Set aside.
Combine the bread, herbs, and pepper in the bowl of the food processor and process to fine crumbs. Coat the crab cakes in the crumbs. Place on a buttered baking sheet, drizzle with the ½ cup of melted butter, and bake for 5 to 7 minutes, until they’re golden and hot.
Two pounds shredded smoked fish (bluefish, whiting, salmon) may be substituted for the crab to make smoked fish cakes.
1996 Elizabeth Terry