Crab and Avocado over Butter Lettuce
Crabmeat is very light and very subtle in flavor, and avocado adds richness without overpowering the crustacean. I like to liven up the combination with lime juice and fresh Thai chile. Quality crabmeat is pretty pricey, so this salad is a good way of making a little crab go a long way.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, halal, kosher, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Taste and Texturecreamy, savory
- 1 teaspoon whole-grain mustard
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 large shallot, minced
- ½ red Thai chile, seeded, deveined, and minced
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh mint leaves
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 large, ripe Hass avocado, pitted, peeled, and finely diced
- 8 ounces lump crabmeat
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large head of butter or Bibb lettuce
- Olive oil
Whisk the mustard, lime juice, and shallot together in a large mixing bow.l Stir in the chile, mint, parsley, cilantro, avocado, and crabmeat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
To serve, arrange a couple leaves of lettuce on each plate and top with a spoonful of the crab salad. Drizzle each plate with a little olive oil to finish.
Read NextTranslucent Sugar Glaze
2010 Dave Lieberman and Anahad O?Connor