You can make chocolate chunks by chopping a bittersweet chocolate bar with a knife. As with any baked item, always use a good quality chocolate and cocoa powder.
Makes9 to 12 Brownies
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionBuffet, Family Get-together, game day
Dietary Considerationkosher, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Taste and Texturechocolatey, rich, sweet
Type of Dishchocolate dessert, dessert
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1/4 cup Kahlua or coffee liqueur
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chunks or chips
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly butter a 9 by 9-inch ovenproof baking dish and set aside.
Place the butter and semi-sweet chocolate chips in a bowl and melt in the microwave or over a pot of simmering water. Remove from the microwave and stir to blend and set aside to cool slightly. In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt.
Add eggs to the chocolate mixture. Combine the vanilla, coffee liqueur and espresso in a small bowl and stir until the espresso dissolves. Stir this mixture into the chocolate mixture. Add the chocolate mixture to the flour mixture and stir just until all dry ingredients are incorporated. Stir in the chocolate chunks.
Spread the batter into the prepare dish and bake 25 to 30 minutes. Cool before slicing into desired size.
2016 Sara Foster