Chunky Chocolate Shortbread
This crisp shortbread cookie has lots of crunch from the nuts and a great chocolate flavor from the chopped chocolate.
NotesThis recipe calls for superfine sugar, but it’s not necessary to buy it. You can make it by processing granulated sugar in a blender or food processor until fine.
Makes54 bars (1 bar per serving)
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionBuffet, Family Get-together
Dietary Considerationdiabetic, halal, kosher, peanut free, soy free, vegetarian
Mealbrunch, dinner, tea
Taste and Texturechocolatey, crisp, nutty, sweet
Type of Dishcookie, dessert
- 1 cup (250 mL) butter, softened
- ½ cup (125 mL) superfine granulated sugar
- 1¾ cups (425 mL) all purpose flour
- ¼ cup (50 mL) cornstarch
- 4 squares (1 oz/28 g each) bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) coarsely chopped pecans, toasted
- 13- by 9-inch (3 L) cake pan, ungreased
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
In a bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Combine flour and cornstarch. Stir into butter mixture, mixing well. Stir in chocolate and pecans. Press evenly into pan.
Bake in preheated oven until lightly browned around eges, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool completely in pan on rack. Cut into bars or squares.
2008 Barbara Selley, BA RD