Chocolate Fridge Cake
This cake can be kept in an airtight container for a few days, and it actually improves the flavour!
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturechocolatey, nutty, rich, sweet
Type of Dishchocolate dessert
- 7 ounces digestive biscuits
- 4 ounces whole pecan nuts, roughly chopped
- 4 ounces pistachio nuts, peeled
- 10 glacé cherries (or dried sour cherries)
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup or light corn syrup
- 8 ounces good-quality dark (bittersweet or semisweet) chocolate (70% cocoa solids), broken into pieces
Break the biscuits into small pieces directly into a large bowl. Add the pecans, pistachio nuts and cherries, and mix together.
Put the rest of the ingredients into a separate bowl and place over a pan of simmering water until the butter and chocolate have melted.
Combine the biscuit mix with the chocolate mixture. Line an 8 x 12 inch plastic container with plastic wrap, leaving plenty of extra plastic wrap at the edges to help turn the cake out later. Pour in the mixture, pressing down hard to pack nicely, then fold the plastic wrap over the top. Leave in the fridge for a few hours to firm up, then turn out and cut into chunky slices.
2016 Jamie Oliver