Chilled Stone Crabs with Mustard Mayonnaise
Winter stone crabs, looking like bright red parrot heads with jet-black beaks, are bought fully cooked because they are steamed and refrigerated aboard ship as soon as they are caught.
NotesPurchase 1 pound of stone crabs per person.
Total Timeunder 15 minutes
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe Coursemain course
Equipmentblender, food processor
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturesavory
Type of DishCondiments
- Cooked chilled stone crabs (about 1 pound per person)
- 4 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- Salt and freshly milled pepper
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- Electric mixer or food processor
Mustard mayonnaise: Place the yolks, mustard, salt, pepper, dry mustard, and cayenne in the bowl of the mixture of food processor and beat at high speed for 2 minutes, or until the mixture is creamy. In a thin stream, gradually add the oils, beating all the white. Add the lemon juice and adjust the seasonings to taste. Add the boiling water and mix for 2 to 3 seconds, just until incorporated. Refrigerate the mayonnaise in a covered container.
Serve the mayonnaise with very well chilled stone crabs.