Chilled Avocado Soup
Rich, creamy, and lightly spiced, this soup makes a meal when paired with a generous salad of mixed organic greens.
Greek yogurt is higher in protein than most other yogurts.
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
One Pot MealYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe Courseappetizer, cold appetizer, main course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, vegetarian
Moodfestive, stressed, tired
Taste and Texturecreamy
Type of Dishcold soup, soup
- 2 ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 1 cup soy milk or reduced-fat milk
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves
- 1 tablespoon finely minced fresh ginger
- Juice from 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- ½ teaspoon Asian chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 cups vegetable stock or low-sodium, nonfat chicken stock
- ½ cup finely chopped red bell pepper, for garnish
• Put the avocados in a food processor and puree until smooth. Add the soy milk, cilantro, ginger, lemon juice, chili sauce, and salt. Process until smooth.
• With the machine running, pour the yogurt and stock through the feed tube.
• Transfer to a resealable container and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled.
• Transfer the soup into serving bowls and place a little chopped bell pepper in the center. Serve immediately.
2004, 2014 Cancer Lifeline