There are chili burgers and then there are chili burgers made with the real stuff — the original cowboy chili without beans and tomatoes! These are very special.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationpeanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Taste and Texturehot & spicy, meaty
Type of Dishhamburger, sandwich
- 1½ pounds lean ground beef
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Generous dash of freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups Bowl o’Red
- 4 hamburger buns (Kaiser or onion rolls, if possible)
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- ½ cup shredded mixed Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheeses
- ½ cup chopped Spanish onion
- 2 tablespoons sliced, pickled jalapeño chiles (optional)
Mix beef with salt and pepper in a large bowl. Shape into 4 flat patties. Preheat broiler or grill. Cook burgers to desired doneness.
Meanwhile, heat the Bowl 0’ Red until it is warm enough to serve. Then split the buns, lightly butter them, if desired, and grill or toast them. To serve, place the burgers on the buns and top with chili, cheese, onion, and chiles, if desired.
1994 Jane Butel