The New Doubleday Cookbook
Published by Doubleday
This luscious dish deserves the bravos heaped on its famous namesake, Italian coloratura Luisa Tetrazzini.
Total Timeunder 4 hours
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Coursemain course
Taste and Texturecreamy, rich, savory
Type of Dishcasserole
- 1 (5-6-pound) stewing hen, cleaned and dressed
- 1 quart water
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled
- 1 medium-size carrot, peeled
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-4 peppercorns
- 1 pound spaghettini or linguine
- ½ pound mushrooms, wiped clean, sliced and lightly sautéed in butter
- ¼ cup butter or margarine
- ¼ cup sifted flour
- 2 cups reserved chicken stock
- 1½ cups milk or ¾ cup each milk and dry white wine
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- ½ tablespoons lemon juice (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (optional)
- ¾ cup soft, fine bread crumbs mixed with
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Remove fat from body cavity of hen, then place hen, giblets, water, salt, onion, carrot, celery, bay leaf, and peppercorns in a large, heavy kettle, cover, and simmer about 2 hours until tender. (Note: Chicken liver should be removed after 10-15 minutes, cooled, and reserved.) Cool hen in stock, then skin and cut meat from bones in bite-size chunks; also dice all giblets; skim stock of fat, strain, and reserve.
For sauce, melt butter over moderate heat, blend in flour, add stock and remaining sauce ingredients, and heat, stirring, until thickened. Preheat oven to 350°F.
Cook pasta by package directions, drain and combine with sauce, mushrooms, chicken, and giblets, including liver. Place in a buttered shallow 3-quart casserole, sprinkle with topping, and bake, uncovered, 30-40 minutes until bubbly. Brown quickly under broiler and serve.
Turkey Tetrazzini: Prepare as directed, substituting a 6-pound turkey for the chicken.
Per serving (6-8): 1050-790 C, 350-265 mg en, 1830-1370 mg S*
Ham Tetrazzini: Prepare sauce as directed; also cook pasta. Toss with 3 cups diced cooked ham and the mushrooms called for, then top and bake as directed.
Per serving (6-8): 750-565 C, 135-100 mg cu. 2525-1890 mg S*
1975, 1985 Doubleday/Bantam Doubleday Dell Publishing, Inc.