Total Timeunder 4 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, halal, kosher, lactose-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Type of Dishsoup, stock
- One 4- to 5-pound chicken, cut into serving pieces, skin removed, and trimmed of excess fat
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons black peppercorns
- 1 white onion, unpeeled and quartered
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled and crushed
- 1 yellow onion, unpeeled and quartered
- 2 green bell peppers, cored and quartered
- 4 fresh culantro (recao) stems
- 2 large carrots, unpeeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 small head napa cabbage, cut into 1-inch ribbons
Place the chicken, salt, and peppercorns in a large pot. Pour in 10 cups water and bring it to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 2 hours. Skim the froth off the surface with a spoon.
Remove from the heat, take out the chicken pieces with a slotted spoon or tongs, and place them in a bowl to cool. Strain the broth through a sieve and skim off the fat. Chilling the broth makes removing the fat easier.
Once the chicken is cool enough to handle, pull the meat off the bones and tear it into bite-sized pieces. Discard the bones. Measure out enough broth or chicken for your chosen recipe and keep the rest refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 6 months.
2009 Wai Hon Chu and Connie Lovatt