This easy chicken bistro dish with its Spanish flavors is one of my favorite ways of incorporating rice into a dish. Serve the comforting stew with crisp steamed broccoli.
NotesIt’s not necessary to rehydrate tomatoes for this dish.
Cooking Methodbaking, braising
Total Timeunder 2 hours
One Pot MealYes
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, lactose-free, peanut free
Taste and Texturemeaty, savory, spiced
Type of Dishcasserole
- 4 chicken legs
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 sweet red pepper, sliced
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) hot pepper flakes
- 12 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- ½ lb (250 g) prosciutto, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) chopped sun-dried tomatoes (see Notes)
- 1 cup (250 mL) parboiled rice
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry white wine or chicken stock
- 1 orange, peeled, halved crosswise and cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp (25 mL) black olives, pitted and halved
Cut chicken legs into drumsticks and thighs. In large deep skillet or shallow ovenproof casserole, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken in batches, sprinkling lightly with salt and pepper. Remove and set aside.
Drain off all but 2 tbsp (25 mL) drippings from pan. Add onions, red pepper, hot pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste; cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
Add garlic, prosciutto and sun-dried tomatoes; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add rice and stir well to coat. Add tomatoes and wine; bring to boil, scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pan. Top with chicken; tuck orange wedges and olives around pieces. Cover and bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 1 hour or until juices run clear when chicken is pierced.
2002 Rose Murray