Serve these tasty beans with grilled or roasted meat or add a salad and enjoy them as a light main course.
NotesWorks in slow cookers from 3½ to 6 quarts
Cooking Methodslow cooking
Total Timeunder 4 hours
One Pot MealYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe Courseside dish
Dietary Considerationdiabetic, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegetarian
Taste and Texturecheesy, herby, savory
Type of Dishvegetable
- 4 cups (1 l) frozen lima beans, thawed and drained
- 1 can (28 oz/796 ml) diced tomatoes, drained, ½ cup (125 ml) of the juice set aside
- ½ (125 ml) cup chopped green onions
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup (250 ml) shredded light old Cheddar cheese
In slow cooker stoneware, combine beans, tomatoes, ½ cup (125 ml) tomato juice, green onions, salt and black pepper to taste.
Cover and cook on Low for 6 hours or on High for 3 hours, until hot and bubbly. Stir in green pepper and cheese. Cover and cook on High for 20 minutes, until pepper is tender and cheese is melted.
This dish can be partially prepared before it is cooked. Complete Step 1. Cover and refrigerate overnight. The next morning, continue with the recipe.
2007 Judith Finlayson