A chilled version of the French bistro favorite.
NotesVegetarian variation: Omit the chicken; add 8 ounces smoked mozzarella cut into ½-inch cubes, along with the beans
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, lactose-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Type of Dishmain course salad, salad
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 boneless chicken thighs (about ¼ pounds) cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked white beans, drained
- 1 large tomato, peeled, seeded, and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 large green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 scallions, finely chopped, (about ¼ cup)
- Green or red leaf lettuce
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium- sized skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and saute until golden on both sides, about 10 minutes. Cover and cook 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through, stirring several times.
Add the garlic to the skillet and saute until garlic is golden. Remove chicken and garlic to a medium bowl. Add the water to the skillet. Cook 1 minute, stirring to dissolve any browned-on bits. Pour the liquid from the skillet into a glass measuring cup; discard excess or add water to make ¼ cup.
Add the skillet liquid, the remaining oil, the vinegar, thyme, salt, and black pepper to the chicken and garlic in the bowl; stir together. Stir in beans, tomato, the pepper, and scallions. Spoon onto a bed of leaf lettuce.
Serve immediately at room temperature or refrigerate, covered, until 30 minutes before serving.
1994 Bonnie Tandy Leblang