Your jeweler couldn’t recreate this if he tried! It’s one of a kind. One bite of this chocolate carrot cake and you will see what I mean. As much as you may be tempted to skip the frosting, don’t. The cream cheese icing completes the entire carrot cake experience—it’s truly the icing on the cake! Enjoy.
NotesTo soften cream cheese, let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes or remove from wrapper and microwave on High for 20 seconds.
This cake will keep wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 2 days.
I like to ice the cake right in the pan after it’s cooled and serve it that way. But you can also turn it out onto a serving plate and ice it once it’s cool.
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionBuffet, Family Get-together
Dietary Considerationhalal, kosher, peanut free, soy free, vegetarian
Taste and Texturechocolatey, creamy, fruity, spiced, sweet
Type of Dishcake
- 2¼ cups (550 mL) all purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) sweetened flaked coconut
- ¾ cup (175 mL) unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder, sifted
- 1½ tsp (7 mL) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2 mL) salt
- 2 cups (500 mL) granulated sugar
- 1½ cups (375 mL) vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla
- 1 cup (250 mL) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 2 cups (500 mL) grated carrots (about 3 large carrots)
- ½ cup (125 mL) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 package (8 oz/250 g) cream cheese, softened (see Notes)
- ½ cup (125 mL) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2½ cups (625 mL) confectioners (icing) sugar
- ½ (2 mL) tsp vanilla
- 13- by 9-inch (3 L) metal baking pan, greased
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Cake: In a medium bowl, mix together flour, coconut, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
In a large bowl, beat together sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla. Beat in pineapple with juice and carrots. Add flour mixture, beating just until smooth. Stir in chocolate chips.
Spread batter in prepared pan, smoothing top. Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes or until a tester inserted into center comes out clean. Let cool in pan or transfer to a rack to let cool completely (see Notes).
Cream Cheese Icing: While cake is cooling, in a bowl and using electric mixer, beat together cream cheese and butter until smooth and fluffy. Add confectioner’s sugar and vanilla, beating until smooth. Spread over cool cake and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Variation: Decorate the cream cheese icing with shaved chocolate (use a vegetable peeler and a chunk of semisweet chocolate).
Read NextTranslucent Sugar Glaze
2006 Julie Hasson