Carrot and Pineapple Cake
Published by Stewart, Tabori & Chang
This is a moist, luscious cake filled with carrots, nuts, and spices–a real treat. It also freezes well.
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
Dietary Considerationhealthy, high fiber
Taste and Texturefruity, nutty, spiced, sweet
Type of Dishcake
- 1 pound whole wheat flour (about 3 1/3 cups)
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- ½ cup light olive oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 ounces carrot, grated (about 2½ cups)
- ½ cup walnut pieces
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup dry, unsweetened coconut
- 9 ounces crushed pineapple in natural juice (about 1 cup)
- Confectio ners sugar, for dusting (optional)
1 Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper. (If you have no parchment paper, then grease and flour the pan’s bottom.)
2 Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients except the confectioners’ sugar and mix well until evenly combined.
3 Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and level the surface. Bake in the center of the oven for about 1 hour until risen and golden and a fine metal skewer comes out clean when inserted in the cake.
4 Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack until completely cold. Dust with confectioners’ sugar before serving.
Anthony Worrall Thompson