Butternut Squash Soup with Nutmeg Cream
The flavor of freshly grated nutmeg in an unsweetened whipped cream makes a lovely complement to the sweet butternut squash soup.
NotesFor best results when whipping, make sure the cream and your bowl and whip are cold.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
One Pot MealYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Formal Dinner Party
Recipe Courseappetizer, main course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, halal, kosher, peanut free, soy free, vegetarian
Equipmentblender, food processor
Taste and Texturebuttery, creamy, herby, rich, savory, spiced, sweet
Type of Dishhot soup, soup
- ¼ cup (50 mL) unsalted butter
- 1 butternut squash (about 2 lbs/1 kg), peeled and cut into 1-inch (2/5 cm) cubes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) finely chopped onion
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground coriander
- ½ tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 5 cups (1.25 L) chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup (125 mL) orange juice
- ½ cup (125 mL) whipping (35%) cream
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Soft baby sage leaves (optional)
- ½ cup (125 mL) cold whipping (35%) cream
- ¼ tsp (1 mL) freshly grated nutmeg
In a large pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add squash, garlic and onion; sauté for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and add salt, coriander, thyme and black pepper; sauté for 5 minutes. Add stock and orange juice; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer gently until squash is tender, about 30 minutes.
Using an immersion blender, or in a food processor or blender in batches, pureé soup until smooth. Return to the pot, if necessary. Stir in cream, nutmeg and cayenne to taste; reheat over medium heat, stirring often, until steaming. Do not let boil. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and black pepper, if necessary.
Prepare the nutmeg cream: In a bowl, using an electric mixer, whip cream until soft peaks form. Add nutmeg and whip until well blended.
Ladle soup into heated bowls and top each with a dollop of nutmeg cream. Garnish with sage leaves, if desired.
Read NextClassic Lobster Roll
2008 Carla Snyder and Meredith Deeds