Total Timeunder 15 minutes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Cooking for a date
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturebuttery, crisp, herby, savory
- 1½ pounds bay scallops (the small ones)
- ½ cup milk or beer
- 1 to 1½ cups freshly made bread crumbs, from unsweetened white bread
- Salt, freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley
Rinse the scallops under cold running water. Drain and dry thoroughly on paper towels. Dip the scallops in the milk or beer and then roll them lightly in the crumbs.
Arrange in a shallow foil pan and put the pan on top of the broiling pan and rack. Sprinkle with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste and spoon 4 tablespoons of the melted butter over them.
Broil 4 inches from the heat just until the crumbs are lightly browned. Do not overcook, or the scallops will be tough.
Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with the rest of the melted butter and the chopped parsley.
1977 James Beard