Broccoli Soup With Sautéed Shrimp, Mushrooms, and Roasted Garlic
Here the broccoli is cooked in 2 batches to extract maximum flavor, yet preserve its lively brightness. Chinese cuisine inspired the combination of broccoli, garlic shrimp, and mushrooms.
Order of preparation:
• Prepare the soup.
• Cook the mushrooms.
• Just before serving, cook the shrimp.
• Refrigerate the soup up to 3 days and reheat slowly; do not freeze.
• Refrigerate the mushrooms up to 1 day. Reheat in a little stock and butter over medium-low heat.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationdiabetic, egg-free, gluten-free, low carb, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Taste and Texturebuttery, creamy, garlicky, savory, sweet, umami
Type of Dishhot soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, sliced thin
- 1 pound broccoli, sliced thin
- 10 cloves Oven-Roasted Garlic
- 3½ cups Chicken Stock or low-salt canned chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon pure olive oil
- 12 ounces shiitakes, caps only
- 12 large shrimp, deveined, butterflied, and tail left on
In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat and sauté the onions until transparent, 5 to 8 minutes. Add half the broccoli and the roasted garlic and sauté until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
Add the remaining broccoli and the cream. Bring to a boil and cook until the newly added broccoli is tender, about 10 minutes. Puree in a blender and strain through a coarse strainer. Season with salt and pepper and keep hot.
For the shrimp and mushrooms:
Preheat the oven to 200°F. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the mushroom caps and sauté until soft, about 6 minutes. Remove from the skillet. Add the shrimp to the skillet and sauté until medium-rare, 1 to 2 minutes each side. Keep warm in the oven.
Put the mushrooms and shrimp in 8 warm bowls and ladle the soup over.
Instead of sautéing the shrimp and mushrooms, grill the mushroom caps until golden and the shrimp until medium rare, 1 to 2 minutes each side.
For chicken stock substitute half chicken, half lobster stock.
1996 Debra Ponzek and Joan Schwartz