Broccoli and Potato Purée
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
Recipe Courseside dish
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, halal, kosher, lactose-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, vegetarian
- 2 cups ¾-inch chunks peeled
- Yukon Gold or russet potatoes (about 12 ounces)
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- 4 cups fresh or frozen broccoli florets
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon margarine or butter
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Place the potatoes, broth, and garlic in a 3-quart pot. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the broccoli to the pot and return to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for an additional 7 minutes, or until the potatoes and broccoli are tender. Add a little water during cooking if the pot becomes too dry.
Drain any remaining liquid from the vegetables, reserving the cooking liquid, and transfer the vegetables to a food processor. Add the olive oil, margarine or butter, and pepper, and process until smooth. Add enough of the reserved cooking liquid to bring the mixture to the desired consistency, swirling in a few tablespoons of milk, if necessary. Add the Parmesan cheese and process again.
Serve the purée hot, drizzling each portion with a little olive oil, if desired.
2010 Sandra Woodruff and Leah Gibert-Henderson