Blueberry and Flaxseed Smoothie
A smoothie is a great way to get a healthy serving of fruit on the go. By adding ground flaxseed you are adding great omega-3’s that help with brain development and fighting cholesterol, without changing the flavor. Blueberries are packed with antioxidants. I use organic frozen berries because they are picked at their prime and have more flavor and vitamins than out-of-season berries. Surprisingly, they can also be less expensive. To give your smoothie a rich and creamy texture, use frozen bananas.
1. Pour into popsicle molds for a frozen tasty treat
2. Add a bit of soap and hot water to blender and run for twenty seconds, rinse. Clean up is done in under a minute!
3. Remember to peel and cut up your over-ripe bananas and freeze them in sealable sandwich bags. Frozen bananas add texture and potassium in an instant and save you from the guilt of not getting around to making banana bread.
Total Timeunder 15 minutes
Dietary Considerationhealthy, vegetarian
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Mealbreakfast, kid snack, snack
Taste and Texturecreamy, fruity, rich, sweet
Type of Dishnon-alcoholic beverage
- 1 cup fresh or organic frozen blueberries (or peaches, raspberries, & strawberries)
- 1 frozen banana
- 1½ cups pomegranate or other unsweetened fruit juice
- ½ cup plain organic kefir (or substitute plain yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
Optional: If you prefer it sweeter, add honey, maple syrup or agave nectar
Put everything in the blender...enjoy.
2007 Domenica Catelli