Black Bean–Smoked Chile Dip
Use this spicy spread for nachos or in a quesadilla, as well as for a dip.
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
OccasionCocktail Party, Family Get-together, game day
Recipe Courseappetizer, hors d'oeuvre, snack
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturehot & spicy, savory, smoky, spiced
Type of Dishdip/spread
- 2 cups cooked black beans
- ½ cup water or bean broth
- 1 tablespoon sunflower or safflower oil
- ¼ cup sliced scallion, including some of the greens
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon pureed chipotle chile or ½ teaspoon cayenne
- Juice of 2 or 3 limes
Warm the beans in the water. Heat the oil in a small skillet. Add the scallion and spices and cook over medium heat until tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and turn off the heat.
Coarsely puree the beans, scallion mixture, and chile in a food processor. Taste; if you want it hotter, add more chile in small increments. Add lime juice and salt to sharpen the flavors.
1997 Deborah Madison