Black Bean Soup
Using fully cooked ham and precooked or canned beans, you can prepare this hearty soup in under a half hour.
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
One Pot MealYes
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, lactose-free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free
Type of Dishhot soup, soup
- 1 pound fully cooked bone-in ham steak
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups water
- 2 medium carrots, sliced (about ½ cup)
- 3 cups cooked black beans, drained
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ pound spinach, rinsed very well and torn into bite-size pieces
Cut ham steak into ½-inch pieces; reserve bone. Heat the oil over medium heat in a heavy, 4-quart saucepan. Add the ham pieces and the bone, onion, and garlic and saute, stirring constantly, until the onion is golden, about 5 minutes.
Add the water, carrots, beans, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and cook 15 to 20 minutes or until the carrots are just tender.
Add the spinach. Return to boiling over high heat; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until spinach has wilted. Remove ham bone before serving.
Vegetarian Variation: Omit the ham steak.
1994 Bonnie Tandy Leblang