Black and White Bean Salad
A simple-to-prepare, delectable salad that will convert almost anyone into a bean lover. Combining the dressing with warm beans lets them absorb and intensify the flavors.
NotesNote: Be sure to wash your hands after handling jalapeno peppers. The pepper’s volatile oils could burn your eyes.
6 to 8 servings
Total Timeunder 1 hour
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups cooked black beans, still warm, drained
- 2 cups cooked white beans, still warm, drained
- 2½ bell peppers, assorted colors (red, green, yellow) cored, seeded, and diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium red onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons jalapeno peppers to taste, seeded and finely minced (see note)
- Leaf lettuce (optional)
To prepare the dressing, whisk together in a large bowl the oil, vinegar, garlic, mustard, black pepper, salt, and cumin.
Add the beans, bell peppers, onion, and jalapeno peppers. Mix well. Taste and adjust seasoning. Cover and refrigerate until 30 minutes before serving. Serve on lettuce, if desired.
1994 Bonnie Tandy Leblang