Baked Spanish Mackerel
NotesIf you have two fish, place them side by side and cook together, in one package.
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
Make Ahead RecipeYes
One Pot MealYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Coursemain course
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturesavory
- 3 to 4 tablespoons melted butter
- One 4-pound or two 2-pound Spanish mackerel, cleaned, gutted with head and tail intact
- 4 strips lemon zest
- 4 strips orange zest
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 ripe tomatoes-peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 2 dozen green and black Italian or Greek olives
- Freshly milled black pepper
- 4 large scallions, thinly sliced
- Two 2-ounce cans, anchovy fillets, drained and patted dry
Preheat the oven to 375°. Place a piece of aluminum foil large enough to envelop the fish on a baking sheet. Line the foil with a large sheet of parchment paper. Brush the bottom of the parchment with melted butter and place the fish on top.
Stuff the cavity with the citrus zest and sprig of rosemary. Scatter all of the remaining ingredients except the anchovies on and around the fish. Arrange the anchovies on top of the fish in herringbone fashion. Tightly wrap the fish in the parchment and foil and bake for 10 minutes for every inch of thickness. Place on a platter and serve.