Asian Stir-Fry with Noodles
Published by Workman
Stir-fries are the perfect way to incorporate high-protein soy into your eating plan. The tofu in this recipe soaks up the sauce and flavors it.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Recipe CourseMain Course
Dietary ConsiderationEgg-free, Halal, Kosher, Lactose-free, Peanut Free, Tree Nut Free, Vegan, Vegetarian
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and TextureCrisp, Garlicky, Salty, Savory, Spiced, Umami
Type of DishVegetable
- 1 10-ounce package firm tofu
- 1 15-ounce can chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 8-ounce package soba noodles
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon spicy Thai chili sauce (2 teaspoons for extra-spicy flavor)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 2 cups broccoli or broccolini florets and stems, chopped
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 2 cups snow peas, ends and strings removed
- 6 white mushrooms sliced
- ½ cup chopped green onions
Cut tofu in half lengthwise and place halves on a dinner plate. Cover with multiple layers of paper towel, then place a heavy object on top to force water out of tofu. Let sit 15 to 20 minutes.
In a medium saucepan, bring broth and water to a boil. Add noodles and cook 6 to 8 minutes, or until just tender. Drain. Transfer to a serving bowl. Toss with sesame oil. Set aside.
To make the sauce, combine one cup chicken broth with cornstarch in a small saucepan; stir until smooth and no lumps remain. Stir in soy sauce and chili sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly until sauce thickens slightly. Set aside on stovetop to keep warm.
To stir-fry vegetables, preheat a nonstick wok or skillet over medium-high heat. When pan is hot, add olive oil. When oil is hot, add ginger; stir-fry 30 seconds. Add broccoli or broccolini, red pepper and snow peas; stir-fry 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and green onions; stir-fry 1 to 3 minutes. Remove tofu from covering and slice into 1-inch cubes; add to stir-fry. Stir gently 2 to 3 minutes. Pour vegetables over noodles and toss.
Variation: Replace tofu with ¾ pound cubed skinless, boneless chicken breast or ¾ pound cooked medium prawns.
2006 Joseph C. Piscatella