Asian Chopped Salad
Crisp and cool vegetables are chopped small and tossed with a fragrant sesame dressing that hearkens back to The Frog Commissary Cookbook. You can find bok choy in most supermarkets and it’s readily available in Asian markets. Chopped peanuts or a sprinkling of broken rice crisps make a nice addition for added texture.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionBuffet, Casual Dinner Party
Recipe Courseappetizer, main course
Dietary Considerationegg-free, gluten-free, halal, healthy, kosher, lactose-free, low calorie, low carb, low cholesterol, low saturated fat, low-fat, peanut free, soy free, vegan, vegetarian
Taste and Texturecrisp, crunchy, spiced, umami
Type of Dishsalad
- 1 cup sliced scallions, white and green parts
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- 6 ounces bean sprouts, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces
- ½ pound snow peas, trimmed and cut into ½-inch pieces
- 1 head bok choy
- 1 teaspoon chopped jalapeño
- ½ cup chopped cashews
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- ½ teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup toasted sesame oil
- ½ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Do ahead: Vegetables can be chopped up to one day ahead and stored in the refrigerator. Dressing can be made up to five days ahead and stored in the refrigerator.
Separate bok choy leaves. Rinse and pat dry.
Chop bok choy into approximately ½-inch pieces. Combine these in a large bowl with scallions, red pepper, bean sprouts, carrots, snow peas and jalapeño. If making in advance, keep red peppers separate.
In a small bowl, make the dressing by whisking together ginger, garlic, cilantro, orange zest, vegetable oil, sesame oil, rice vinegar, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, salt, pepper and sugar. Whisk until sugar is dissolved.
Pour dressing over salad and toss. Allow salad to sit for 30 minutes before serving. Garnish with cashews and serve.
2009 Steve Poses