Zucchini and Tomato Gratin
This gratin is a delicious way to eat your vegetables.
Total Timeunder 1 hour
One Pot MealYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe CourseSide Dish, Vegetable
Dietary ConsiderationEgg-free, Gluten-free, Halal, Kosher, Peanut Free, Soy Free, Tree Nut Free, Vegetarian
Taste and TextureCheesy, Creamy, Rich
Type of DishGratin
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 2 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ½ cup white rice
- 2 small zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 medium tomatoes, sliced ½ inch thick
- 1 cup boiling water
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup grated Asiago cheese, or ¼ cup grated Parmesan or Romano (using less of these still gives ample flavor)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Put the oil in an 8-inch square baking dish and spread to coat the bottom. Sprinkle the garlic, onion, and basil over the oil. Spread the rice over the top.
Layer the zucchini and tomato slices over the rice, and pour the boiling water over the top. Season with salt and pepper.
Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese over the top and bake for another 10 to 15 minutes, or until the cheese is golden brown and the vegetables and rice are cooked. Serve immediately.
2004, 2014 Cancer Lifeline