Portobello Pot Roast
Amaze everyone at the table with this vegan portobello pot roast!
Published by Page Street Publishing Co.
We all know the best part of a traditional pot roast is those roasted veggies, right? So, I’ve created a vegan version that delivers all of those familiar flavors in a completely plant-based, one-pot meal. While the veggies take a while to roast, there’s only about ten minutes of active cooking time needed to pull off this impressive dish!
One Pot MealYes
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons (46 g) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (708 ml) stout beer or other dark beer, such as porter
- 3 cups (708 ml) vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) vegan Worcestershire sauce (see note)
- 1/4 cup (66 g) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons (5 g) fresh sage, slivered
- 1/4 cup (10 g) chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons (5 g) chopped fresh rosemary
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, stems and gills removed
- 2 cups (300 g) baby carrots
- 10 Yukon Gold potatoes, unpeeled and chopped into 1-inch (2.5-cm) pieces
- Fresh rosemary sprigs (optional)
Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C, or gas mark 4).
Heat the olive oil in a very large, ovenproof skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Add the flour to make a roux, stirring frequently for 1 minute. Slowly add the beer and vegetable broth to make a sauce.
Add the Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, sage, basil, rosemary, salt and pepper. Add the portobellos, carrots and potatoes. Use a spoon to coat the vegetables with the sauce.
Transfer the skillet to the oven. Roast for 1 hour, or until the vegetables are tender. Serve with sprigs of rosemary for garnish (if using).
Note: Be sure to choose a vegan variety of Worcestershire sauce. Annie's and The Wizard's are both reliable brands.
Read NextVintage Broccoli Cheese Casserole
Reprinted with permission from Weeknight One-Pot Vegan Cooking: 75 Effortless Recipes with Maximum Flavor and Minimal Cleanup by Nicole Malik, Page Street Publishing Co. 2019.