Grown-Up Chocolate Bourbon Balls
In place of the bourbon, switch in one of the following:
• 3 tablespoons orange juice or water
• 3 to 4 tablespoons other liqueur (dark rum, amaretto, orange liqueur, Frangelico, etc.)
Gussy It Up:
Roll the bourbon balls in chopped pistachios instead of cookie crumbs.
Makes24 bourbon balls
Total Timeunder 2 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionFormal Dinner Party
Dietary Considerationhalal, kosher, peanut free, soy free, vegetarian
Five Ingredients or LessYes
Taste and Texturechocolatey, crisp, sweet
Type of Dishchocolate dessert, dessert
- 6 ounces, chopped chocolate (bittersweet or semisweet),
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut up
- 3 to 4 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 cups (7 ounces) crisp vanilla wafer cookies, finely crushed, divided
Have ready a large, flat plate and make room in the fridge.
Heat the chocolate and butter in a medium saucepan or in the microwave in a medium bowl until just melted. Add the bourbon and stir until smooth and blended. Pour in ½ cups of the crushed cookies (save the remainder for coating). Stir until well blended.
Refrigerate until chilled and firm enough to shape, stirring frequently, about 20 minutes (for faster chilling, pop the bowl in the freezer).
Pour the remaining ½ cup crushed cookies into a small bowl. Shape the dough into 1¼-inch balls. Roll each ball in the remaining cookies until lightly coated and set on the plate. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve or for up to 4 days. Serve slightly chilled.
2010 Abigail Johnson Dodge