Orange-Balsamic Glazed Butternut Squash & Brussels Sprouts
Published by Page Street Publishing Co.
The sweet cranberries and crunchy almonds contrast with the tangy orange-balsamic glaze in this flavorful dish. It’s delicious and simple to prepare in a single baking dish. It’s also pretty enough to serve to guests. In fact, this is one of my go-to dishes for Thanksgiving each year! You can easily double or even triple this recipe if you’re feeding a crowd.
- 4 cups (400 g) Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 3 cups (420 g) peeled and diced butternut squash (1-inch [2.5-cm] cubes)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) agave syrup
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) orange juice
- 1 cup (125 g) almonds
- 1/2 cup (83 g) dried cranberries
Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C, or gas mark 7).
In a large baking dish, combine the Brussels sprouts and butternut squash. Drizzle the olive oil over the vegetables. Add the salt and pepper.
Toss the vegetables to coat them in the olive oil, then place the baking dish in the oven and roast for 40 minutes.
When the vegetables are done, remove the baking dish from the oven. Add the agave syrup, balsamic vinegar and orange juice. Toss the vegetables so they are fully coated in the glaze. Return the dish to the oven and bake for 5 to 10 minutes, until the vegetables are soft and slightly caramelized.
Remove the baking dish from the oven again. Add additional salt, to taste. Stir in the almonds and dried cranberries just before serving.
Reprinted with permission from Weeknight One-Pot Vegan Cooking: 75 Effortless Recipes with Maximum Flavor and Minimal Cleanup by Nicole Malik, Page Street Publishing Co. 2019.