Green Chile Stew
NotesFor a salad accompaniment, combine ruby red lettuce leaves with ripe watermelon.
Total Timeunder 2 hours
One Pot MealYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe Coursemain course
Taste and Texturehot & spicy, meaty, savory
- 2 tablespoons lard
- Salt and freshly milled black pepper
- 1½ pounds lamb shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1½ pounds pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 18 long, medium-hot, green chile peppers, stemmed, seeded, and deveined
- 1½ to 2 cups Chicken Stock
- Zest of 1 lemon, cut into julienne and finely diced
In a large heavy skillet, melt the lard over moderately high heat.
Lightly salt and pepper the lamb. Brown the lamb on all sides and reserve.
Lightly salt and pepper the pork. Brown the pork on all sides and reserve.
Cut the chiles into long ½-or ¼ inch strips, depending on their size.
Lightly sauté the chiles in the lard until they begin to wilt. Remove the chiles and reserve.
Add the stock to the skillet. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat.
Add the meats and simmer until tender.
Add the chiles and cook until heated through.
Fold in the zest and serve.