Scallop, Shrimp, and Fish Fondue
This fondue makes a beautiful presentation for New Year’s Eve or any gala occasion. To complete the festive menu, consider a salad of endive and field greens with pink grapefruit, avocado, and pomegranate seeds.
Makes4 to 6 servings
Total Timeunder 30 minutes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party, Family Get-together
Recipe Coursemain course
Dietary Considerationlow carb
Taste and Texturesavory, winey
- Sea salt
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless salmon fillets, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 ounces boneless, skinless halibut or monkfish fillets, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 6 ounces sea scallops
- 8 ounces medium-to-large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Lemon wedges and cilantro sprigs for garnish
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Rémoulade Sauce
- Soy-Wasabi Sauce
- Sour Cream-Dill Sauce
- Thousand Island Sauce
- and/or Tomato Cocktail Sauce
Lightly salt the seafood and chill in the refrigerator until ready to cook. Arrange the seafood on a platter and garnish with the lemon wedges and cilantro sprigs.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, heat the olive oil and sauté the shallots, garlic, and ginger until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the wine, water, and salt and bring to a boil.
Transfer to a fondue pot and bring the broth to a simmer. Skewer the seafood on fondue forks and cook until just no longer opaque, about 2 minutes. Dip into the sauces.
Read NextWalnut Shrimp
2005 Lou Seibert Pappas