Editor's Note: In the mood for some delicious Filipino food? This amazing Filipino Paella recipe will knock you off our feet - it's that good.
Preparation Time30 min
Cooking Time1 hr 10 min
Total TimeUnder 3 Hours
- 10 fresh medium shrimp (about 7 oz/200 g), shelled and deveined, tails intact
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 fresh crabs (about 3 lbs/1 ½ kg total)
- 5 cups (1 ¼ liters) water
- 2 medium squid (about 10 oz/300 g), cleaned and cut into rings
- ½ cup (125 ml) olive oil
- 8 oz (250 g) pork tenderloin, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ teaspoon paprika or ground red pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- ½ medium onion, diced
- One 3-in (8-cm) chorizo de Bilbao or pepperoni sausage, thinly sliced
- 2 cups (400 g) uncooked long-grain rice
- 4 tablespoons canned tomato purée
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 bell pepper, deseeded and cut into chunks
- Generous pinch of saffron mixed with 1 teaspoon water
- ½ cup (60 g) fresh or frozen green peas
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, quartered or sliced
Season the shrimp lightly with the salt and pepper, and set aside.
Boil the crabs in the water for 20 minutes or until cooked. When cooked, remove the crabs, quarter them, crack the shells and claws, and set aside. Reserve the water.
Blanch the squid in the reserved crab water until cooked, about 3 minutes. Remove the squid and set aside in a bowl of cold water. Strain and reserve 3 ¾ cups (925 ml) of the crab-squid broth.
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or casserole dish. Add the pork, paprika, garlic, onion and chorizo slices, and stir-fry for a few minutes. Then add the rice and stir-fry until lightly browned. Add the tomato purée, reserved broth and bay leaf, and stir for a few minutes. Add the bell pepper and saffron, and bring to a boil.
Remove from the heat and bake in the preheated oven, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Arrange the seasoned shrimp, crab, squid and peas on the rice, and bake for another 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and decorate with the hard-boiled eggs. Transfer to the dining table and serve immediately.
Copyright 2017 Reynaldo G. Alejandro