Crab and Salmon Cakes
NotesServing suggestions: Use any type of mixed salad greens with diced fruit (such as peaches, mangos, or papayas), lightly dressed with vinaigrette; or substitute fresh corn kernels and black beans for the fruit.
Total Timeunder 4 hours
Make Ahead RecipeYes
OccasionCasual Dinner Party
Recipe CourseMain Course
Taste and TextureSavory
- 8 ounces cooked salmon
- 8 ounces canned lump crabmeat, picked clean
- 3 scallions, minced (include some of the green)
- ¼ cup cracker meal
- ¼ cup mayonnaise, homemade or high-quality store-bought
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning or 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 egg, beaten with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup fine bread crumbs, for dredging
- ½ cup mayonnaise, homemade or high-quality store-bought
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon catsup
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained, dried, and chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped sour pickles
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 hard boiled egg, chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup vegetable oil, for frying
Prepare the cakes: Remove any bones or skin from the salmon. In a medium bowl, flake the salmon with a fork. Add the crabmeat, scallions, cracker meal, mayonnaise, beaten egg, parsley, mustard, nutmeg, and Old Bay Seasoning. Mix well, cover, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Shape the cold mixture into 8 small round cakes. Dip the cakes in the beaten-egg mixture and coat evenly with the breadcrumbs. Place the cakes on a large plate. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or more.
Prepare the sauce: In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, yogurt, and mustard until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients, cover, and chill.
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat until hot, but not smoking. Add the cakes and fry until golden on both sides, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper toweling. Serve over tossed salad and accompany with the sauce.
1997 Christopher Idone
YOUR RECENTLY VIEWED RECIPES
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.