So Good! Sour Cream
Because I slather gobs of this on just about anything, I had to put myself in handcuffs so I wouldn’t work it into every recipe. For a creamy texture, you just gotta soak those cashews. Chill the cream in the fridge for a few hours, preferably overnight, so the flavors mesh and the blend thickens. Boost with cauliflower to ramp up nutrition, and with onion powder and chives for a magical middle note. I use this on Nosh-On-’Em-Nachos, Punched-Up Potato & Leek, Gentle Lentils, and Minty Peas Please! It keeps in the fridge for about 5 days, but never lasts that long.
Make Ahead RecipeYes
- 1⁄3 cup (80ml) filtered water
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus more to taste
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, plus more to taste
- 1 cup (140g) raw unsalted cashews, soaked
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 1 clove)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon natural salt, plus more to taste
- Optional Boosters
- 1 teaspoon onion powder, plus more to taste
- 1⁄4 cup (30g) raw cauliflower florets
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives, plus more to taste
Pour the water, lime juice, and apple cider vinegar into the blender. Then add the cashews, mustard, garlic, salt, and the cauliflower and onion powder boosters. Blast on high for about 1 minute, until smooth and creamy. You may have to stop the machine periodically and scrape down the sides of the container. Tweak the lime juice, vinegar, and salt to taste. Stir in the chive booster. Transfer to a container and chill in the fridge for a few hours to thicken.
Nutritional Facts (per serving, based on 8 servings)
calories 99.5 kcal | fat 7.7 g | saturated fat 1.4 g | sodium 205.1 mg | carbs 5.9 g | fiber 0.7 g | sugars 1.2 g | protein 3.3 g | calcium 9.2 mg | iron 1.2 mg
Reprinted with permission from The Perfect Blend, copyright 2016 Tess Masters. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.