The Balanced Raw Burger
Editor's Note: Whether you're looking for a new twist on the traditional burger or want to make a meat-free burger, this recipe is for you. The Balanced Raw Burger has plenty of flavor and can even be incorporated in a salad.
Sometimes you’ve just got to have a burger. To make it Balanced Raw friendly, I suggest enjoying this legume-based patty wrapped in crisp, butter leaf lettuce and topped with plenty of fresh veggies such as sprouts, cucumber, red onion, tomato, and avocado.
NotesIf you wish to omit grilling, make a big green salad and crumble the dough over top. You can also stuff the dough into a wrap and serve tahini sauce, your favorite hummus, or a mint chutney.
Cooking Time30 min
Recipe CourseMain Course
- 2 tablespoons (18 g) ground flax meal
- 6 tablespoons (90 ml) warm water
- 2 teaspoons (10 ml) coconut oil, melted, plus extra for brushing
- ½ cup (80 g) minced red onion
- 1 Serrano pepper, stem and seeds removed, and minced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups (328 g) cooked chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon (12 g) nutritional yeast
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ cup (30 g) fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (12 g) fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons (2 g) fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup (23 g) chickpea flour
- 1 cup (196 g) cooked quinoa
- Small Bowl
- Medium Skillet
- Food Processor
- Large Bowl
- Baking Sheet
In a small bowl, combine flax meal and water, stir until combined, and set aside.
Heat coconut oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat, and add onion, pepper, and garlic, and heat for 1 minute. Set aside.
Combine chickpeas, nutritional yeast, cayenne pepper, coriander, sea salt, and cumin in a food processor fitted with an S blade, and pulse until combined, about 1 minute.
Add parsley, mint, cilantro, and flax meal mix, and pulse until well incorporated, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in onion mix and chickpea flour. Add quinoa, a little at a time, until mixed well and the dough begins to bind.
Form into 8 patties on a baking sheet. Brush both sides of patties with melted coconut oil.
Heat a grill over medium-high heat. Grill patties for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until lightly golden. Serve wrapped in butter leaf lettuce with desired toppings.
2013 Fair Winds Press
YOUR RECENTLY VIEWED RECIPES
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.