Grilled Romaine Lettuce with Parmigiano
Published by Imagine
My father fancied himself as the great grill man, but the hallowed Weber saw only the typical array of steak, franks, and the occasional burger. He never grilled chicken or—goodness no—fish. I wonder what my father would have thought of grilling vegetables, and particularly lettuce. I asked the Magic 8 Ball I still have from my youth, but the answer was “Reply hazy. Call again later.”
Total TimeUnder 15 minutes
Type of DishSalad
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon good balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 anchovy fillets, chopped, or a splash of Thai fish sauce (optional)
- Course or kosher salt
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Shaved Parmigiano
Preheat the grill to medium.
To make the dressing, blend lemon juice, balsamic vinegar, half the olive oil, and anchovy or fish sauce if you are using it.
In a large bowl, toss the 4 romaine halves in remaining olive oil and season them with salt. Arrange them in a single layer on the grill and cook for 3 minutes; the romaine should feel slightly warm and tender. Transfer the halves to a large platter. Spoon a little dressing on each and top with pepper and Parmigiano. Serve immediately.
Read NextCranberry Waldorf Salad